
I went to see the retinal specialist today. As I was walking in to the eye clinic Dr. Stowell, the former president of Moody, was also walking in. it kinda made me laugh. I wanted to say something but then we were both checking in at the same time and what would I say anyways?: “Dr. Stowell!-hello! I went to Moody while you were president there!” So instead I slowly walked away and went to talk to the insurance woman about my appt. I went in to see my doctor and got my eyes dilated AGAIN and had to watch a video about my condition while I waited for them to dilate-joyous times. The Dr. told me I have vitreous detachment:
With age, the vitreous humor changes from a gel to a liquid. As it does so, the vitreous mass gradually shrinks and collapses, separating and falling away from the retina. This is called a “posterior vitreous detachment” (PVD) and is a normal occurrence between ages 40 and 70.
Commonly, a person having experienced a PVD will report seeing flashing lights and/or floaters in his or her field of vision. The flashes of light occur as the vitreous tugs on the sensory layer of the retina as the vitreous is detaching. The floaters—which are cells or debris released when the vitreous detaches—can appear as little dots, circles, lines, cobwebs, or clouds. They especially can be apparent when looking at a bright background, as the light entering the eye casts shadows of the floaters onto the retina. Sometimes a large, single floater actually can obstruct print that is being read. The observance of flashes and floaters can last two or more weeks. Even episodes lasting as long as six months can occur.
So…I apparently have eyes that would normally we found in a 40 year old.-ha They say if you are very badly nearsighted this can happen and yep…I have really bad eyes-so it makes sense. Both of my eyes have this detached vitreous. Usually it causes holes in the retina but my Dr. told me somehow I am lucky and didn’t get any. I guess the flashes will continue-no big deal-and if I ever lose some vision I am to contact them right away. So…it wasn’t all that bad and now I feel relieved knowing what the problem is.
No comments:
Post a Comment